Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Skinny on Agave

I follow a blog by a dietitian/nutritionist.  She believes whole-heartedly in the Paleo diet.  And she recently wrote about agave nectar.  And how it's like high-fructose corn syrup on steroids.   There's a bunch of science behind it like it has more fructose than glucose and more fructose is not what we need in our bodies.  You can read all about it here.

I have a recipe on this blog that uses agave nectar.  It's one of my favorites - the paleo margarita.  And the thing is that I haven't found an acceptable substitute for the agave.  Honey doesn't work.  Trust me, I've tried it.  And the Nor-Cal margarita just isn't my thing.  Based on the fact that I only drink a margarita once or twice a month, I'm going to be ok with the agave for now.  You will have to make your own choices. And if you find something else I can use in the margarita that makes it taste as good, please let us know in comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment