Saturday, September 11, 2010

Paleo Zucchini Bread

I used to make zucchini bread for my kids and put it in their lunch boxes.  That was before.  And now that they are back in school they have been asking for it again.  So I took my sister's famous recipe and made it a healthier "cheat".  It does still have honey and agave nectar (better than the 1 cup of sugar the original recipe uses) and we replaced the flour with coconut flour.
I know coconut flour is very expensive, but you use a lot less than all purpose flour.  The original recipe called for 3 cups of flour.  This one uses 3/4 cup.  This is moist, the texture is like a great homemade bread, and we can eat it.  It's hard to wrap your mind around - it really does feel like you're eating the real thing.

For 1 loaf you will need:

8 eggs
1 cup canola oil
3 tsp agave nectar
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup grated zucchini
2 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
5 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking soda

1.  Preheat oven to 325.  Grease a loaf pan.

2.  In a large bowl, beat eggs until they are light and frothy.  Mix in oil, agave nectar and honey.  Stir in zucchini and vanilla.

3.  In a separate smaller bowl, whisk all of the dry ingredients together.  Stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture.

4.  Pour into loaf pan and bake 60 minutes or until dry in the middle with a toothpick.

1 comment:

  1. This looks really good, but most of the references I see, agave nectar on the banned list because contrary to some reports, does elicit a strong insulin response. Honey and maple syrup - grade B are better.

    Also, Loren Cordain has withdrawn his endorsement of canola oil. He now likes olive oil and coconut oil. For my baking, I use a suggestion from Nourishing Traditions where I mix equal parts of extra virgin olive oil, virgin coconut oil, and sesame oil (for heat tolerance). It works really well. Coconut oil is excellent for baking, but I've found with coconut flour, it seems a little too saturated when used all by itself.

    I will be trying this today with my garden zucchini! Thanks

    ReplyDelete