Sunday, July 11, 2010

Waffles. No, Really.

These amazing things come to us from a great website called Eat the Cookie.  In her recipe she uses 2 Tbsp coconut flour and 4 Tbsp almond meal.  We can't use almond meal in our house because of a nut allergy, so we simply left the almond meal out - still delicious.  This recipe calls for agave nectar, which is a no-no on a primal diet.  Substitute 1 tsp honey.





I have a large Cuisinart waffle maker that makes 4 large waffles at a time.  This recipe makes 2 waffles - and they are very filling. Neither of my kids could finish 2 waffles.   Serving size is 1 waffle.  Trust me. This recipe has 300 calories and 14 grams of protein per serving.

We topped them with fruit.  Just pop some frozen blueberries out of the freezer and into a sauce pan.  Add a little lemon zest and let them stew while your waffles are cooking.  So good.

For 2 large waffles you will need:
3 medium eggs
1 tsp honey
1 Tbsp oil (canola or coconut) plus more to grease waffle maker
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp coconut flour
4 Tbsp almond meal
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
pinch of cinnamon

1.  Rub waffle maker with oil and plug in
2.  Combine eggs, honey, oil, and vanilla
3.  Combine coconut flour, almond meal, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
4.  Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients.  Let batter sit for 5 minutes.
5.  Pour into waffle maker and close lid.  Cook for 2 minutes and then check them - don't let them cook longer than 3 minutes - they will dry out.

3 comments:

  1. I'm staring at the pic thinking, "those look like REAL waffles!". Hmm...I'm going to have to get some coconut flour now. I use almond meal all the time but have not bought any coconut flour. I love the blueberries in the store right now - they are so sweet and good! And the raspberries. YUM! I'm going to have to try these.

    Do you use dairy? I've been using it with no problem since going Primal. I have to watch that I don't get too much though. (tempting to just sit and eat cheese!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Angie -

    I am still using half and half in my coffee and I will eat cheese if it's really good worth-it cheese, but that's about it. We have made these waffles three times this weekend - they are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. your waffles look wonderful! i'm glad it worked out well for you without the almond flour. i also stay away from agave. i usually use either maple syrup or honey.
    i'm enjoying poking around your blog!

    ReplyDelete